Watershed is a software platform for running a world-class climate program. We measure our success in the carbon reduction achievements of our customers. We are looking for team members who love product-building, want to work hard at a mission-oriented startup, and will collaborate with us in shaping the culture of a growing team.
We have a small office in San Francisco and remote team members across US timezones. We hope that you'll be interested in joining us!
Watershed is a software platform for running a world-class climate program.
Businesses are critical actors in the race to halt climate change, but it can seem impossibly daunting to do well when you’re a fast-growing company with many other priorities. Watershed makes it easy for companies to take the steps that actually matter.
To help tell this story to a broader base of businesses, we’re looking for a jack-of-all-trades marketer who excels at writing, shaking the right trees, and thinking rigorously.
We measure our success as a company in the carbon reduction achievements of our customers, and our first marketer is absolutely critical to that success. You’ll be responsible for:
- Generating broad awareness of Watershed, and helping demystify the process for businesses to get to net zero.
- Establishing Watershed as the new standard for creating an impactful corporate climate program, working with analysts and other influential audiences.
- Defining the new category that Watershed is forging, and putting the product at the center of a new and increasingly urgent conversation.
- Telling substantive stories about our customers, and helping them make their own climate announcements.
- Targeted demand generation and partnering tightly with sales.
- Managing our PR agency partners and outside writers.
- Helping a wide range of audiences understand what truly impactful climate work looks like, by publishing guides and opinion pieces that separate the best programs from the rest.
- Company building: We’re just getting started here at Watershed, and are looking for folks who can wear many hats and build the best thing for customers and future employees.
You are likely a good fit for this role if you love storytelling, and don’t mind diving into a rabbit hole of climate nerdery to find the most compelling data points to make your point. Our audience is discerning, and the right person will have a high standard for thinking and writing, even if they’re not (yet!) experts on climate. We’re looking for someone who is:
- A clear, analytical thinker.
- Adept at making complex topics clear and succinct. You’re creative, compelling.
- Someone with hands-on experience building a brand. You can invent something that makes Watershed synonymous with climate leadership.
- Confident on the marketing tech stack Watershed should be utilizing, and how to run effective demand generation and digital campaigns.
- Has a track record of doing whatever it takes to get things done. You’ve accomplished things that others thought were impossible. You’re relentlessly resourceful.
- Excited to join a startup, take responsibility for the fate of the company, and move fast.
These are not hard requirements: far more important than what shows up on a resume, we’re looking for smart, passionate, effective people to join the team. If you’re interested in Watershed, we’d love to hear from you.
What's your approach to remote work?
Watershed is hiring team members on all US time zones, and we're committed to growing a long-term distributed team. We will have a hub office in San Francisco, and about two thirds of the team currently expects to work in that office post-COVID.
What are Watershed's return-to-office plans?
We're a COVID-cautious company, and we'll return to the office when it's known to be safe. Every member of the current team is on-track to be vaccinated in June 2021, so we're eying that month for a return to the office. In the meantime, we treasure every opportunity to socialize and collaborate safely. We've maintained an office in San Francisco where local employees can work one-at-a-time during COVID. We use its large outdoors space for optional socially distant gatherings, and prioritize team walks and park picnics as a tide-over during COVID.
Do I need X years of experience, climate experience, etc.?
No, Watershed is hiring team members with a broad range of prior experience, and we'd love to talk with you regardless of yours. We prioritize mentorship on the job.
What's the interview process like?
It starts the same for every candidate: getting to know the team members through two to three conversations about Watershed, your experience, and your interests. During these conversations, we'll agree together on a written plan of the interview process for your particular role. Usually this begins with a skill screen (e.g. a coding interview for an engineer, or a portfolio review for a designer). We prioritize transparency and lack of surprise throughout the process.